salmon rice bowl //
i searched pinterest for "salmon rice bowl" .. and it didn't deliver.. i didn't want a typical salmon rice asain inspired dinner... i also wanted my salmon to be cooked.. not raw. ;)
i decided to make a bit extra, so cody or i could have it for lunch the next day! adjust servings to your desire. this quick DELICIOUS dinner could be yours tonight, only took me about 30 mins start to finish.
you'll need //
- 2 Salmon fillets (can substitute any choice of meat, or none at all)
- White/Brown long grain rice
- 1 can Corn
- 1 can Black beans
- Feta cheese
- 1 Avocado
- Dressing *my sister whitley suggested "bolthouse farms', 'salsa verde avocado', yogurt dressing which is only 45 cal per tbsp + its freaking amazing.
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
guidlines if you want em' //
- go ahead and steam/stove top your rice, that will take the longest.... i opted for the "quick rice" setting on my steamer and used the little cup to measure out how much rice. two cups rice/two cups water.
- season 2 salmon fillets with fresh ground pepper on both sides, with a bit of extra virgin olive oil to prevent sticking, cook low + slow until a nice pink color, do not over cook.. *we used the grill, however, not mandatory. cook times will vary depending on size of your salmon fillets!
- heat up black beans and corn with some fresh ground pepper
- while those things are cooking/heating up, remove kale from stems, lightly chop, rinse, set aside about 2 cups.
- grab your ripe avocado, obvi remove the pit, slice long ways *as pictured, or diced. whatever your little heart desires, you do you boo!
- remove salmon from grill, shred with fork while still hot.
- plate your dish. make sure you add equal parts of everything. which means, you make it look pretty and so you can see how much you're adding-- each main ingredient (rice, kale, corn, beans) should take up 1/4th of the bowl. this is to ensure balance.
- add your toppings- avocado, feta cheese, salmon, dressing, cracked pepper.
- mix your bowl well while the hot ingredients are still hot so that the kale "cooks" a bit, and isn't so tough!
- eat, drink, and enjoy.
there you have it folks, i feel as if i just knocked it out of the park with this one + it was so so so easy.
get creative, make it your own! add or take away, make it fun.. whenever cody feels full, and loves something i cook up, i take note, pat myself on the back, and make it again for the next month or so once a week.. LOL. this dinner is so nutrious and on the healthier side and is perfect for a spring or summer day because its light + yet super filling!
i just had to share it, let me know if you try it by hashtagging #ilovesalmonricebowls , because i just know you will. ;)